12.12.2007

Trial and Error

All the parts are here except the bulk of the resistors and capacitors. By the time they arrive, I should be ready for them.

Today I drilled all the remaining holes in the chassis except the ones in the sides that will be used to secure the chassis to the wooden cabinet. I can wait until the cabinet is completely designed before I drill those.

I also test-mounted everything I have so far: the transformers, fuse assembly, AC power cord, tube sockets, Cap Can, pilot light assembly, on/off switch, potentiometers and knobs, input jacks, footswitch jack, and speaker jack. Everything fits nicely (well, almost. . . but more on that later).




It's really starting to look like an amplifier, now.



Slight Screw Up

The thing about trial and error is that eventually, you will make an error. It's inherent, and I'm surprised it took me this long to make a goof like I did. I was so concerned about making sure the knobs and everything on the top control panel lined up properly, I drilled the holes for the speaker and footswitch jacks slightly higher than they should have been (see above photo).

I put them where they are for a reason, since I was attempting to leave enough clearance for the heater wires that heat the tubes. However, as it turns out, the heater wires will probably go on the opposite side of the jacks anyway, and now, once you insert a 1/4" plug, the very tip of the plug just barely touches the turret board (see photos below).



In order to fix my blunder, I have come up with three options so far: 1) raise the turret board with longer standoffs or spacers, 2) relocate the jack holes, or 3) cut a tiny notch out of the turret board at the spot where the plugs might rub. Option #3 seems most logical, easiest, and makes the most sense. Luckily, I'm pretty sure the spots needing to be notched aren't at a major juncture on the circuit board, meaning a small V-shaped cut shouldn't cause further problems. 


Next on the agenda is to begin wiring, starting with the AC input and heater wires. Hopefully, unless I do indeed shock myself, the next post will have photos with some glowing tubes!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ooooh, glowy tubes!