12.05.2007

Layouts

The got the turret board today. It seems very nice. I know I probably could have saved some money by making one from some phenolic board and rivets, but since this is my first time I am trying to reduce the possibility of error on simple things. The board from Triode is very well built and seemingly indestructible. 

I got a piece of aluminum sheet metal from Tractor Supply Co. (much cheaper than Lowes) to practice metalworking. I learned long ago to practice on scraps instead of ruining your expensive materials.

Using the computer to do mock-ups of chassis layouts has been really helpful. I used Adobe Illustrator to arrange and re-arrange components all over the place. It really helps to visualize what things might look like once put together. However, when I got to a point where I felt like I was pretty close, I dragged out the drafting gear. While the computer is a great kick-start, there is no substitute for using graph paper, a compass, and straight edge. That tactile connection of using a pencil and paper is something a computer cannot replace. So, I drew up some elevations and layout diagrams of the chassis (see below). Note that each thicker blue line represents one inch, and each thin blue line represents 1/8 inch.

This is a view of the rear of the chassis, as if the rear wooden panel of the amp cabinet was removed. Obviously, a few components aren't sketched in. I haven't yet drawn the input jack or the pilot light assembly, nor did I draw the transformers or circuit board. Regardless, I am very satisfied with the placement of the tube sockets and the multisection electrolytic capacitor (that large thing right in the center). However, after seeing the layout from this angle, I decided it makes more sense to adjust the placement of the AC cord and fuse assembly. Rather than the way they appear in these illustrations, I am going to move the AC cord toward the baffle board by about 1.25 inches and scoot the fuse assembly to the left, placing it directly in front of the AC cord. This should make wiring easier, allow more space for transformers, and clean up the design a bit. To paraphrase Morgan Jones from the book, the more attractive the layout, chances are it will perform better.

Here is the bottom-panel component layout diagram. Not 100% sure about the placement of the speaker and vibrato pedal jacks yet. I plan to use this, once tweaked, to trace the cut/drill holes directly onto the aluminum chassis.


This is a partially-complete wiring diagram. The top portion is a nearly complete layout of the potentiometers, input jack, switch, and pilot light.


While so much of this may seem redundant and unnecessary, I honestly feel that the more I can do ahead of time, the more headaches I will prevent later.

No comments: